Is it worth switching electricity providers despite the electricity price brake?
The Electricity price brake This means that for consumers and small businesses, the electricity price will not exceed 40 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh). This applies to 80 percent of the previous consumption. As a rule, this is measured against 2022 consumption. If you consume more, you pay the current market prices for this increase. By March 1, 2023 at the latest, your electricity supplier will inform you about your actual relief.
Good to know: How the Consumer Center reports that the lowest electricity tariffs currently available are still well above the pre-energy crisis level. The price development is very dynamic. If your electricity provider is possibly below the current limit of 40 cents/kWh, the switch will not bring you any cost advantage. It's worth keeping a close eye on the offers.
The Federal Government justifies the electricity price brake with the higher energy costs caused by the war. It is therefore not intended as a permanent solution.
Conclusion: Even in 2023, a change of electricity supplier makes sense under certain conditions.
If you're going to switch electricity providers, then green electricity: 3 top reasons
Reason 1: Advancing renewables with green power
If you choose a green electricity tariff with Grüner Strom-Label, you will be supporting projects for a sustainable energy economy. These include
- new eco-power plants,
- Future technologies such as storage and smart grids,
- Energy efficiency measures,
- E-mobility and
- Citizen energy projects.
This is done with the help of a fixed amount per kWh consumed. In this way, more than 80 million euros in round over 1,600 ecologically valuable projects. Such Energy transition projects bring a renewable energy future actually and guaranteed to move forward. They relate to the expansion of wind, hydro, solar and biomass energy. What's more, energy efficiency, sustainable mobility, nature conservation and a sustainable energy infrastructure are also fields of action for our label holders.
Reason 2: Genuine green electricity is feasible
The Grüner Strom-Label guarantees that 100 percent green electricity is produced and purchased. For this we have clear criteria. And that is not a matter of course. A Relabeling of nuclear and coal-fired power into green power is unfortunately a common practice in the green power market. This is impossible with the Grüner Strom-Label! The Green Power label is a seal of approval, which stands for top quality and transparency.
Reason 3: Proven green electricity criteria from environmental pioneers
The Grüner Strom-Label is the only green electricity label in Germany that is supported by environmental associations. It was created back in 1998, when the initiative came from the European Association for Renewable Energies (EUROSOLAR). Non-profit environmental and consumer associations as well as peace organizations joined in. Their goal: to promote the expansion of renewable energies and to ensure credibility in the green electricity market.
Through their work on the board and in the general meeting, these associations have played a key role in shaping certification to this day. All member associations must agree to changes in the label criteria.
Our strong green power label sponsorship consists of: BUND, NABU, DNR, German Environmental Aid, IPPNW, Consumer Initiative Germany, EUROSOLAR.
Is green power also green electricity?
The term green electricity is not protected. Unfortunately, what electricity providers advertise as green power often does not contribute transparently and comprehensibly to the expansion of renewables. For example, in 2022 Ecotest 42 green electricity tariffs through.
The real green electricity tariff comparison
In the green electricity tariff comparison portal "Compare you green", only tariffs bearing the Grüner Strom-Label appear. The award criteria include:
- The electricity for the green electricity tariff comes exclusively from renewable sources. The supplier must keep precise records of this.
- Suppliers may not hold shares in nuclear power plants and, as of the cutoff date of Jan. 1, 2027, in coal-fired power plants.
- You actively expand renewables. They commit to invest a fixed amount of cents per kWh. Strict criteria from Grüner Strom-Label also apply to these expansion projects.
- Label holders must present their certified green electricity tariff to their customers in a transparent and comprehensible manner. They must also state the subsidy amount per kWh that goes to renewable energy projects.
Find green electricity providers via a trustworthy comparison portal
Our comparison portal "Compare you green" stands out from other comparison portals in this respect, among others:
- The tariff portal 'www.vergleich-dich-gruen.de' exclusively presents tariffs certified by Grüner Strom Label e.V.. With this, we, as well as our supporting associations, give a guarantee promise to consumers: All certified tariffs meet the highest environmental standards and offer real added value for the environment.
- We do not receive any income through ads, sponsored ranking or commission. Instead, we finance ourselves exclusively through the budget from Grüner Strom Label e.V..
- Outsiders cannot influence the ranking of the comparison portal.
How the green electricity provider comparison "Compare Green" works
You simply enter your zip code and your annual consumption. You can sort and filter the results, for example, by:
- Price, alphabetical order of providers, or amount of subsidy the provider puts into renewables.
- Tariffs with price guarantee yes or no
- Prepayment rates and package deals yes or no
- Regional offers only
- Minimum contract period
For each provider in the results list, you can view details such as:
- Price scales
- Contract requirements such as Studi certificate for the Studi tariff
- Contract processing online only
- Extra high subsidy for renewables
Change electricity provider now - this is how it works
When changing electricity providers, you can either first find a new provider and leave everything else to them. Or you can cancel your contract first and then look for a new provider. For the result - finally green electricity! - it doesn't matter.
A little more comfortable:
- find a new supplier and sign an electricity contract
- have the new provider give notice to the old one
- then obtain green electricity
- give notice yourself (mail, fax, letter)
- find a new supplier and sign an electricity contract
- Purchase green electricity no later than 3 weeks after conclusion of the contract
What should I bear in mind when switching electricity providers?
It is useful to check a few questions in advance when you switch.
When can I get out of the old electricity contract?
Your current electricity bill will show your next cancellation option. If it's still a few months away, don't look for a new provider right now. Because the prices can still change.
If you are in the basic supply, you can leave with a notice period of 14 days. Perhaps you have a special right of termination. Even then it will be faster.
What data do I have to provide when switching electricity providers?
You can cancel informally. That means: online, by e-mail, letter or fax. A signature is not necessary. But the following data:
- Name, address
- Counter number
- Customer number
- On the switching date: send the meter reading to the old and the new electricity provider. It is also best to make a note of this for yourself so that you can check the bills.
If you leave the cancellation to your new electricity provider, he needs for it:
- Your power of attorney
- the name of the previous supplier
When do I have a special right of termination to switch electricity providers?
You can give special notice of termination without notice. This is possible in case of:
- Electricity price increases
Tip: It is better to declare special termination yourself and then inform the new provider that you have already terminated.
Which tariff is right for me?
When you compare electricity prices, you receive suggestions that match your consumption. The options differ, apart from the electricity price, for example by the
- Contract term and
- a price guarantee, if applicable.
If you find a favorable electricity price, a longer price guarantee can be advantageous. Note that sometimes price components such as grid charges or surcharges are not covered by the price guarantee. Then there may be price increases despite the guarantee. This would be a case for your special right of termination.
Is it worth paying a premium when switching electricity suppliers?
You should calculate whether an extra such as a grill, a wallbox or a customer card is worthwhile when switching electricity providers. You may pay less if you choose a low basic price without such a bonus and then buy the supposed bargain elsewhere.
What changes when I switch electricity providers?
In everyday life, almost everything is as usual for you:
- Maintenance and fault service: remain the responsibility of the network operator. Nothing changes with regard to the lines and meters.
- Invoice: comes from the new provider
This is why no blackout can happen when switching electricity suppliers
The uninterrupted power supply during the change of provider is guaranteed by law. From a purely technical point of view, the change of provider does not change your power supply. In case of doubt - if there are any transition problems - you will receive your electricity from the basic supplier. This is the company (often the municipal utility) that supplies most people locally.
When the provider goes bankrupt
The situation is somewhat different if your supplier becomes insolvent. Then the substitute supply, which also comes from the basic supplier, takes effect. In this case, they can charge higher prices. In that case, you need to find a new electricity provider fast!
Electricity supplier change: good to know
- A change of electricity provider is free of charge.
- It is technically simple: no one has to come to your apartment for it.
- Even if there are delays in switching electricity suppliers, worries about a supply cut-off are unfounded: The basic supplier will then step in. This works without interrupting the power supply.
- Only genuine green electricity has an environmental benefit. Therefore, pay attention to clear criteria - as with Green Electricity Label!
"Switching to trusted green power is more important now than ever. Renewables are making us less dependent on limited resources and questionable suppliers. Our Grüner Strom-Labelakers are actively participating in this change."
Melanie Alberts, Head of Marketing & Communications, Grüner Strom Label e.V.
Conclusion: Switching is easy. Move forward now with real green electricity and suitable tariffs Renewable: Here is our independent comparison portal Compare yourself green!